Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Best laid plans

I was called into work on my day off yesterday. Great for paying bills but not so great for the plan to spend the day writing. I had my notes by the computer and a big glass of water to keep my brain hydrated. There was even a plan to review the bar scene(the phrase 'will it never end' kept running through my brain) so when the phone rang I was irked.

The end result was a distinct lack of time to procrastinate. I had half an hour to write before work. I knuckled down and wrote the punchline to that scene. Dialogue poured out onto the page. That was the most productive half hour I've used in some time on the writing front. Upon review today, the quality has held up to the cold winter light of the day after.

It was even more satisfying that I wrote on my lunch break. Instead of reading the book I had finally settled upon(and have since rejected because the characters didn't engage me)I wrote. Alex is back. His humour was missing. Even knowing where it had gone and why, I was missing that aspect of him. I've trudged through that scene because of it. The rejected book (see above) showed me the importance of showing the character's flaws and issues in a way that keeps the reader engaged.

This is a major turning point for Alex. My realization is his. Sorry it took so long but I've got it covered now. The sense of fun is back.

Who knew going to work would net such results?

PS Driving to work netted this image from Universal Studios - change the outfit, soften the lines of his face slightly, lighten the hair - and that's Alex - Hercules

4 comments:

  1. Good job!
    p.s. cute picture ;)

    ytxfg - what I would say were I asked to come in to work on an off day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 PM

    He is also Captain Dillon Hunt of the Adromeda Ascendent.

    Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:04 PM

    That should be Andromeda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Keziah - Glad Alex is back. Glad you're back. Hercules has a great smile, not to mention muscle definition. Much cheer.

    ReplyDelete