Monday, February 16, 2009

Brainstorming

I'm sorry the blog is a day late but I was busy watching this and then this while I was in Dayton, Ohio for the Dogs and Goddesses book signing. It was a fantastic weekend with some good friends. There was cheesecake. And margaritas. Other people saw men in uniform.

A good time was had by all. During the drive down, Me and I discussed our current projects. We brainstormed the Big Bad in Rootless Trees. That means I shot down every single suggestion she had. My reasons were valid but it was frustrating for both of us. Her ideas were sound but failed to resonate.

While shampooing my hair Saturday morning, I found the answer. Without a shower crayon in sight. I repeated it several times, rinsed, dried off and dressed quickly so that I could burst into the living room to share it with the eager masses. We ran through the Big Bad from several angles. It worked every time. We were unable to shoot holes in it. It makes sense, gives a credible backstory, sets Bracken and Kelli up for danger and makes them allies despite their conflict.

The only remaining hurdle was setting. And thanks to Jenb's generous offer to use her home on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks, I think North Carolina may be a winner. We had several conversations about the the state, its geography, environment and the beauty it has to offer. She even has a brilliant brother who can answer some of my scientific questions.

All in all, it was a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:49 PM

    RocknRolla, baby, RocknRolla. You done good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Elen. RocknRolla shall be my reward for a job well done. :D Mmmm, Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to himself when there is no easy way to write something down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:13 PM

    I was quite glad to have been absolutely no help to you whatsoever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Me, you were a big help. By pointing out all the things I didn't want to do, I found what was right. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool that you worked this out, but geez, I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete