Sunday, June 24, 2012

A few observations

This week I learned that if I make plans to write at a particular time for a specific length, then tell people, I will do it.

Peer pressure works on me.

I also learned:

I may never be done research. One thing leads to another then another and somehow everything I've written up to this point dovetails nicely with what I've just learned yet somehow I still need more information so that my characters don't sound like idiots. Although I wonder what the scientific community knows that I don't (plenty!) that they're not making the same connections I am and curing cancer.

Walking the terrain gives me a few shortcuts. I don't have to puzzle out logistics. My characters don't drive 300 miles out of their way to go for dinner. Or to work.

I do not have a large enough vocabulary to describe that awkward first meeting between two characters who will change each other's lives. The descent into cliches is swift and deep.

Some days the words flow. Other days they must be chiseled out of stone with a toothpick.

Taking those observations into consideration, what cliched scene have you read that really worked for you regardless of flaws?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I can't think of a specific instance of a cliched scene that I've read recently that was glaring. And if it was glaring, it wouldn't have worked for me. If a scene really worked for me, I probably wasn't taking in the flaws. I was so intent on the characters that it flew right by. Sometimes, I don't read with a critical eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very popular books out there that drive me crazy with the cliches, triangles, bad grammar etc, yet in some cases, I kept reading. I have no idea why. Page turners. I'm trying to figure out what makes a page turner.

      Delete
  2. Off the top of my head...I have no idea. I just wanted to say that is an awesome tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? Cork tree in DC. I'm thinking of making a blog of trees. I have enough photos from my travels. You know I love them.

      Delete