Sunday, September 16, 2012

Battle for Queenston Heights

Here's the view from Queenston Heights.  At one time much of the park land was owned by my great-grandfather.  When my dad and uncle were little, they were hiking up the back of Grandpa's property and ran into a Parks Canada guy staking the top of the hill.  It seems the government has never been very good at reading boundary maps.  Grandpa sold the land to the park for a tidy sum that supported two generations right into retirement.  Whenever we walk along there I think of that story.  It's a park rich in Canadian history as well but my thoughts always start with that canny Scot.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM

    I spent a lot of time in that park before I ever met you. I had no idea you were related to it. It is one of my favorite places to be, and I have many pictures of just this view. Sigh. Glad to know it is a part of you.

    ReplyDelete