Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Excuses, excuses

Ky was sick for a few days which meant I was up all night every night. By the time I dragged my sorry butt home from work every night, I was too tired to actually think of anything scintillating to add to my wip. Not a single word of brilliance.

I walked to work on Saturday with the hope that it would trigger a great thought process. Most of what I thought was along the lines of,"Crap, it's cold out here," followed immediately by, "Why didn't I wear my black coat? It's longer, warmer. Ugly." For twenty minutes my entire focus was on getting to work without freezing to death. The sun was shining. I was tired. I mistook that for a sign of warmth. I won't do that again.

I had the day off work yesterday. Ky and I spent it with friends. Then I went Christmas shopping. That was definitely not conducive to thinking. Which is why I was scrambling last night to get my reading done for a library course I'm taking. I had a session with my tutor this morning and I didn't fake it very well. Fortunately the assignment isn't due until next week. So much for my day of writing. "The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley."

Today I was speed walking indoors. I was warm, almost too warm. Ky's feeling better so he only woke me up three times last night. I read a sign that said, "No refunds," and it sparked something in me. I dug out the scene where Alex and Nea argue over the importance of capitalism and free enterprise as they pertain to natural resources. Boom! I had another page of dialogue. Who knows from where inspiration strikes.

I'll endeavour to do more tomorrow. 'Tis the most anyone can ask. Besides, my shopping is done.

Quote from Robbie Burns - a nod to Theresa in Edinburgh

4 comments:

  1. Another deposit at the Sleep bank, another page of dialog... what were the excuses for, again? Seems to me like you are making progress in the forward direction, even if it's not as fast as you might wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember in A Moveable Feast, Hemingway used to go for walks to try to forget how hungry he was (didn't want to get a "real" job, so he subsided on part-time journalism and went hungry a lot). Apparently, a lot of the characters in the stories he was writing at the time were very hungry and looking forward to some good food.

    In a similar vein, why couldn't Alex and Nea have to deal with walking in the cold? That way even cold walks would serve a dual purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:43 AM

    It only takes a spark, Miss Keziah. :-) Keep walking, but wear the ugly coat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Selfishly, I must admit I enjoyed your misery--because you recalled it so entertainingly.

    And do wear the ugly coat. With a gorgeous shawl over it.

    ReplyDelete