Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Spider Web

I've been painting all the walls in the house the same off-white colour. It's called Spider Web. In some lights it has a hint of blue, in others it looks green. It depends upon lighting, time of day and where you're standing. Very strange, and brings us back to perspective.

That's a big thing in my life and in my writing. I try to see situations from the other person's point-of-view so that we can come to a better understanding. I try to write scenes from the character who has most to learn.

This project started as Alex's story. He was supposed to save the world but I let his sister do that instead. When she defeated a demon the germ for Alex's story embedded itself in my psyche.

I haven't had a lot of time to write while I paint. This house is bigger than I thought. And while Spider Web doesn't sound like it would be, it's actually a bright, fresh colour. It gives the rooms a different look. Considering the fact that we're taking several individuals and weaving their lives under this roof, the name is appropriate. I like the connections we're making. Spider Web in both apartments.

Alex and Nea have been relegated to the background but they're still lurking in my brain. Nea has taken more thought than Alex, because she's newer to me. She's had a lot to learn, been given a lot of scnes in order to show that. I was a bit concerned that the story had shifted ownership to her. I shoved the thought aside and focused on painting. Spider Web in the common room.

Alex appeared in his sister's story. The seeds of Nea were sown there. Wings and rivers, kayaking and flying - images that tumbled around as I continued to apply paint. There were connections between Alex and Nea, between the stories and once I found the link between ripping Nea's wings off and sending Alex over Niagara Falls in a kayak, I realized the story belonged to both of them. Their connections are integral to each other and the story in much the same way painting all the rooms in the house the same colour reminds us that we rely on each other's strengths to balance the family as a whole.

Threads weaving throughout the house - and the story.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts always make me look at something in a different way.

    I understand what you mean about the paint. In our house, all of the trim in the whole house is the same. Walls can be painted to suit a particular room, or the person that lives there, but the trim is the same. When one of the kids asked why, I told them - for continuity. It's so that we always remember that while we may be different in BIG ways, underneath everything, we're still a family. Our trimmings bind us. It sounds corny, but it really made sense when I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:31 PM

    I love the picture of you weaving your family and lives together as well as Alex's and Nea's as you paint

    Like Dee I'm using the same trim color throughout to give continuity. I never thought about it giving continuity to the family just to the house

    I like the way you both put it better

    ReplyDelete