Monday, October 15, 2007

What I learned in New Jersey

Romance writers are very creative people, but can take a lesson from bartenders(Kiss on the lips).
High fantasy is the next big wave in romance.
Some agents like gimmicks and many don't.
Blogs aren't that big a marketing tool, unless you count your readership in the thousands instead of hundreds.
Alcohol is not required in order to have a good time, but the hotel bar makes the best margaritas I've ever had.
No matter how many times you pitch your book, it's always unnerving.
Great love scenes get their heat from deep emotional connections. Lots of touching doesn't hurt.
Persistence is essential. You can't get published if you're not sending anything out.


I likely learned a lot more than that but I'm still digesting. I have two packages to get out; one to an editor, another to an agent. I'm pretty psyched about both. I attended the agent panel in order to get a feel for the different personalities. This is a crucial business partnership. It's essential we're of like mind about managing my career. She was very warm, professional and knowledgeable. I have hope.

In other news, I'm in the homestretch with Alex and Nea. Once I input the notes and scenes scrawled across all over the place, I should have only have one more edit. Then it will be time to send it to my readers.

Bracken awaits.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    "Kiss on the lips," is that a drink? If not, that's a more provocative statement than I thought. :-) Kudos on the packages, Sheryl! I agree on the agent thing. It is a critical business relationship, and I want you to find the agent of your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:24 AM

    I learned that I have so much more yet to learn.

    Glad it was a good experience for you. Fingers crossed!

    I cannot let this verification pass without comment: itzsex. Why yes, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have a lot invested in this book, too, you've talked that much. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you. And a kiss on the lips is always better than a red headed slut ... but the margaritas are the best. and let's not forget the nuts and berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Nuts and berries! that's what it was! I forgot the name. Thanks McB.

    ReplyDelete