Sunday, June 29, 2008

Procrastination

I took my clipboard with my first draft out west with me last week. I had no illusions of writing while in Portland for Merry's housewarming party but I did think I'd write on the plane ride across the country. I didn't expect to have to stow my personal belongings in the overhead bin. C'est la vie.

Getting back into the swing of writing has been slow. Most of this week was taken up with Real Life and re-assimilating myself into it. Yesterday I did write a page. Today I will build on that by writing two pages before bed(could be a late night as I'm off on dog rescue duty again after a sighting of the lost dog)but it will happen. Tomorrow I'll increase the word count again. If I do that every day regardless of how I feel, this draft will be finished sooner rather than later. Persistence truly is the key.

What do you do to get yourself back from the procrastination slump?

4 comments:

  1. Myself, I find it helps to re-establish the routine of writing as soon as possible. That's one thing that dogs are really good at -- routine. Sleep in a bit past the accepted time of rising, and you are apt to find the cold-nose-on-the-leg routine, or the ever popular squeaky-toy-in-the-ear act, which generally tends to rouse any human with a pulse. Dogs are excellent trainers; they'll go with whatever produces the results they want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *What do you do to get yourself back from the procrastination slump? *

    Pretend. It works for children everywhere. ;-)

    Welcome back. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I hopped over to read the details on Merry's blog. Merry -- you are verra funny.

    I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time. Much cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:31 PM

    I'm still in that slump. Maybe next week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry - I have a dog with the same energy level as I do - slug, which is very bad for an Australian Shepherd/border collie cross. He doesn't have a routine. He gets up whenever I do, early for work, late on the days I'm not committed out of the house. He's been neglected the past couple of weeks so is quite content to sprawl across the foot of the bed for as long as I let him. He does insist I pet with one hand and type with another.

    ReplyDelete