Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hiccups

I got stuck a lot longer than I expected. For every two words I threw on the page, I erased three.  It was ridiculous.  I knew it was temporary but something really hasn't worked the past couple of weeks.  Some of it has been external, some of it has been medication but some of it was internal.  Every night I lie in bed and think about my characters. I think about where they're going and how they're getting there.  I'm not stuck in that regard.

Two things trigger writing for me.  Music and water.  Water in a glass to drink or water outside my window for me to stare at.  Water clears my mind. Music fills it with other stuff so that I can focus on the scenes I need to write.

Today, I realized that my solution for the external story conflict was really good but possibly not the best one.  The other thing is the isolation in which both characters live. It''s important in the beginning but as the story and characters progress they are getting out more, interacting more and the external conflict would be a lot stronger if they pulled on all their new connections to defeat the antagonist. They are not the only ones affected by it.

The good news is that writing happens - even when words don't reach the page every day.

In other news, I've been watching a live feed from Iceland.  I tend to check it out to get a feel for the country but have been fascinated by the view of the volcano.  Bardarbunga2 shows the magma and ash plumes.


No comments:

Post a Comment