Saturday, January 21, 2017

Hope

I didn't march today
I didn't walk.
I didn't protest.

I did talk to my nieces about why women around the world wore pink hats and took to the streets. We talked about a long history of the perception of women as instruments of men's pleasure. We talked about the right to choose, the right to marry, the right to practice your religion, about the right to vote, to march, to protest. We talked about supporting each other and letting those who feel suppressed, oppressed or disenfranchised know that they are not alone.

We talked about why people in 75 countries felt the need to gather in support.

We talked about history being made today.

We talked about hope and how those seas full of pink hats filled our hearts with the emotion we believed to be lost.

We talked. We planned. We hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment