Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mothers

There's a lot more to mothering than giving birth. Society tends to ignore that and place emphasis on the physical. There have been a lot of years when I felt like I was lacking in my contribution to the world because I'm not a mother. I did not bear children.

Now that I'm at the age where my friends are becoming grandparents, it's easier to ignore that attitude,
and the false sympathy,from other people. One good thing about aging is the ability to stop caring what other people think about you and your choices.

I wrote a really long blog in my head about mothers and the various forms they take, about love being a vital component but common sense shouldn't be forgotten either. It was witty and wise, full of profound observations. I'm ditching it to say this -

Happy Mother's Day to everyone who has ever shared fully of themselves, their hearts and homes to give shelter, protection and life lessons to a vulnerable being who needed safety and acceptance. Who cares if you gave them life? You've helped them live.

No comments:

Post a Comment